You are about to experience one of the most unique feelings in life. Throughout the process of bonding with your baby you will get to know Kids are natural wonderers. They are curious, they want to grab, taste and get to know everything around them, which makes sense. Afterall, they have just arrived in this world, everything is new and waiting to be explored. Stimulating curiosity can culminate in a life-long desire to learn.
Some of the things you can do, as they grow up are:
- Listen to their questions and prompt their thinking. Make them reflect on what they are asking before you respond and help them come up with their own answers.
- Ask them questions.
- Teach them that mistakes are learning opportunities and a part of life.
- Expose them to different hobbies, let them choose which one they like the most, and encourage them to pursuit it.
- Give them experiences. Go for a walk, bake together… the sky is the limit!
- Show them different cultures.
- Travel, both physically and through books.
- Leave surprises for them, make them wonder how you managed to pull that up.
By nurturing your child’s desire to wonder, you are building up their confidence, critical sense and desire to explore. You are teaching them about appreciation. The best part of all, you get to walk part of this discovering path with them and watch as they take their independent steps.
References: - 8 Creative Ways to Encourage Curiosity in Children (2020, June 15). MindChamps. - 8 tips to develop children’s curiosity. (2020, May 15). Mayo Clinic Health System. - Pfaff, L. G. (2019, July 12). Fuel Your Child’s Desire to Learn. Parents.